The RUC committee will be meeting next month to provide medicine’s perspective in helping Medicare establish relative values for External Counterpulsation (ECP) therapy.
The current reimbursement rates for ECP therapy, finalized in the 2019 PFS rule, were based upon incomplete information, which resulted in a drastic 20% cut for ECP therapy (HCPCS code G0166). This immediately raised concerns regarding how these cuts will adversely impact access to ECP therapy for patients. Both the American College of Cardiology and the American Medical Association having recognized this will review the code at the October 2019 RUC meeting and make final recommendations to CMS. Although the RUC provides recommendations, CMS makes all final decisions about what the final Medicare payment rates will be.
The public comment period for the 2019 PFS rule will expire on September 27, 2019. It is extremely important that all EECP/ECP providers in the U.S. send their comments in support of EECP/ECP therapy to CMS to be considered in the final decision. During the next two weeks please send a letter in your own words, on your own stationary to:
The Honorable Seema Verma, Administrator Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Attention: CMS- 1715-P P.O. Box 8016 Baltimore, MD 21244-8016
- You may send your letter electronically by using the following link: https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=CMS-2019-0111-0092
- You may also use the link https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=CMS-2019-0111-0092to enter comments in the box provided on the site.
- Your comments should
include the following:
- Insert description of practice (name. location, beneficiaries/patients served, etc.)
- Describe EECP/ECP as high-value treatment for your patients
- Express your concern how the cut will negatively impact patient access to EECP/ECP therapy. (Insert an anecdote/vignette)
- Mention how EECP/ECP therapy improves patient outcomes and reduces unnecessary health care utilization
It is extremely important that you make your comments, either by letter using the link or directly on the link within the next 14 days to be considered in the final CMS decision.
For additional information or assistance please contact:
Michael Gratch, President Legacy Heart firstname.lastname@example.org 817.723.8893